Dad Accused of Sexually Abusing Infant Girl, Leaving Her in the Woods to Die
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
We initially posted on dad CORY CLARKE back in July. No we we find out that this dad faces charges of sexually abusing the 7-month-old daughter he abandoned in the woods. (You might recall that he initially claimed she had been abducted by a stranger from Wal-Mart.) Note that Daddy Dearest had just won visitation rights with the baby and her older brother. The DA says that if the allegations are true, “this would be one of the most disturbing cases I have dealt with in my career.”
DA: Dad sexually abused infant girl, left her in woods to die
By Victor Whitman
Posted: September 16, 2009 – 3:40 PM
MONTICELLO – The father accused of abandoning his seven-month-old daughter in the woods on July 4 near Walmart now faces charges that he sexually abused her first and then left her to die.
Cory Clarke, 27, of Monticello, was indicted Wednesday by a Sullivan County grand jury on charges of second-degree attempted murder, first-degree criminal sexual act, first-degree sexual abuse, first-degree incest, second-degree assault, reckless endangerment and abandonment of a child, felonies, and misdemeanor endangering the welfare of a child.
He is accused of abusing the baby on July 3 at his home on 3 Mill Street in Monticello.
Authorities say on July 4 he dumped her in a grassy, wooded area near an abandoned bungalow colony on Lanahan Road, where she wouldn’t be found.
Clarke reported her missing to a Walmart worker around 12:36 p.m. She was found alive by a state trooper five hours later, lying face down in mud and tall grass, wearing a shirt, and no diaper or pants. She was about 75 feet off the road and 150 yards from Walmart.
Clarke will be arraigned Thursday in Sullivan County Court.
“This case will proceed forward,” District Attorney Steve Lungen said.
“It is the beginning of the case…If the allegations are true and if they are established, this would be one of the most disturbing cases I have dealt with in my career.”
If convicted, Clarke faces a maximum sentence of five to 25 years in prison on each of top charges, Lungen said.
Clarke, who had split up with the baby’s mother, had just been awarded visitation rights. Earlier that day, he was spotted on Route 42 pushing the baby and her older brother in a stroller.
Authorities say Clarke concocted a story that he wheeled the stroller into a bathroom at Walmart and the baby was snatched while he was changing her brother. The older brother was not injured.
But while authorities were still searching for the baby, Clarke’s story began to fall apart.